Super Mario 3D World doesn't rule out more Galaxy, says Miyamoto
by Steve Watts, shacknews.com, Nov 14, 2013 7:00AM PST
Super Mario games have started to branch off into separate lineages, with Super Mario 3D World and Galaxy coming from one team at Nintendo and the various 'New Super Mario' games from another. But while the Galaxy team has been hard at work on 3D World, that doesn't necessarily mean Galaxy is dead and buried. Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto recently signaled that another Galaxy is still a distinct possibility.
"Just so there is no misunderstanding, I should point out that this doesn't mean we'll never make another Super Mario Galaxy game," Miyamoto said in an Iwata Asks. "The same team can't make both at the same time. And we can't bring in a second party and slap the name Super Mario Galaxy on it."
Miyamoto also said he likes keeping the two separate, since they scratch such different itches as a designer. "Personally, I would like to take on a variety of new challenges with Super Mario Galaxy and design 2D Super Mario games in an easy-to-understand way within certain restraints," he said.
In the same Q&A, producer Yoshiaki Koizumi said he felt 3D World lets them appeal to a broader audience than Galaxy did, thanks to its range of characters and play types. Luigi was available in Galaxy, but wasn't on equal footing with Mario.
"I think the deep-blue image of space and the impression you get from the title was more geared toward boys," Koizumi said. "I felt like a player-character you might want to choose besides Mario was necessary to convince, say, my wife to feel comfortable picking it up and playing. This time, we welcomed in Princess Peach, so you can play as a female character. In that way, I feel like we filled in a piece that had been missing."