May 2013 NPD: Injustice wins again, 3DS dethrones Xbox
by Andrew Yoon, shacknews.com, Jun 17, 2013 4:00PM PDT
Injustice: Gods Among Us took the top position for a second consecutive month on the NPD charts. While impressive, there was also little competition. In fact, only three new releases made the list this month, and two of them aren't even technically new games. Metro: Last Light debuted at a respectable 6th place, while the new 3DS and Wii U ports of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Lego Batman 2 charted. The lack of new releases caused an 84% decrease in unit sales year-over-year, NPD analyst Liam Callahan points out.
Perhaps the most shocking news out of this month's report: Xbox 360 has finally been dethroned as the top-selling hardware in America. The winner this month is Nintendo 3DS thanks to its strengthening library of games. "Nintendo 3DS software unit sales were up sixty percent versus May '12, and when looking at the game ranking based on SKUs, there were three 3DS SKUs in the top 10," Callahan noted.
Xbox 360 was still the best-selling home console, so Redmond doesn't have to cry (yet).
Here's the chart:
- Top 10 Games (New Physical Retail only; new releases bolded)
- Injustice: Gods Among Us (360, PS3, Wii U)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (360, PS3, PC, Wii U)
- Donkey Kong Country Returns (3DS, Wii U)
- Dead Island: Riptide (360, PS3, PC)
- Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
- Metro: Last Light (360, PS3, PC)
- NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, PSP, PC)
- BioShock Infinite (360, PS3, PC)
- Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)
- Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (360, Wii, DS, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, Vita, PC)
Once again, be mindful that "these sales figures represent new physical retail sales of hardware, software and accessories, which account for roughly 50 percent of the total consumer spend on games."