News

« News Home

Former Prey 2 dev speaks out on 'lies' about game

by John Keefer, shacknews.com, Jun 3, 2013 10:30AM PDT

Rumors began surfacing late last week that Bethesda had shifted development of the troubled Prey 2 to Arkane Studios, and while that is still unconfirmed, the game's former narrative designer at Human Head Studios said politics were a big part of what happened to the game.

Jason Blair tweeted (via Eurogamer) that he has stayed quiet about the game, "but can't stay so anymore." He said he was a writer for the game during the last six months of development and that "it was a lot more than a demo."

"Prey 2 was a full game. And a crazy fun one," said Blair, who now works on Saints Row 4 at Volition. "The team was small but you wouldn't have known it. What happened to Prey 2, from where I sat, was political. And petty... Human Head had a great game.

"I was heartbroken when Prey 2 went into limbo," he continued. "Human Head deserved to have that game released. Frankly, they needed it... But I mourn that Prey 2 won't belong to Human Head. I mourn that my friends won't get recognition for what they accomplished."

He said that, if the rumors are true that Arkane has taken over, he thinks they can handle it based on what he saw of Dishonored. He later clarified that "For the record, I'm not "bitter" or "livid." And I attacked the lie, not a company or person. I don't know [the rumor's] source only that it spread."

For its part, Bethesda has remained mum, other than a post in April last year that the game was delayed, not cancelled. A source told Shacknews at the time that Human Head had not worked on the game since November 2011 because of a dispute over money.

Related Games