Late Night Computing: January 11, 2013
by Tyler J. Smith, shacknews.com, Jan 11, 2013 5:15PM PST
Late Night Computing for January 11, 2012.....and who really reads this? We're out of here, suckers!
Woohoo, the weekend. It's going to be a nice one here, too, leading me to question whether I want to risk going out into public with the flu spreading like an Australian wildfire in my area. Still, this might be my last opportunity to go outside in a short-sleeved shirt before hunkering down through May and the end of winter. Maybe I'll just seal myself inside a giant bubble with an air filtration system.
- Lucasarts and Disney gear up to potentially launch a new live-action Star Wars television series, featuring a bounty hunter as the main character. [via Entertainment Weekly]
- In the market for a new, high resolution IPS monitor? Monoprice will offer a 27-inch 2560 x 1440 monitor for $390.00, with a dead pixel warranty included. [via Tested]
- Avoid the seasonal flu with new apps that help keep tabs on the local spread of the flu. Plague, Inc. laughs from my pocket. [via VentureBeat]
- Never wear pants again and beam your digital presence across the globe with this brand new gadget. What's next, Taco Bell plotting to take over our food supply? [via Tom's Hardware]
- The International Game Developers Association suggests new research to explore the "benefits of violent video games." [via Cnet]
Chatty posts of the moment:
Make sure you log-in and check your filters if you can't see the following:
- "Hey guys! I finished counting the GotY stuff, and it's time to announce. The Shacknews Community Game of the Year Awards!" [by Fenring42]
- "I want to do a little game programming for a hobby. What's the latest trend for languages for making games that people distribute that aren't web based? You know, in case I make this awesome thing that blows everyone's mind and their mothers want to buy nine copies and fellate me at the same time while their basement dwelling children are busy wasting their stupid lives and giving me money." [by Clasifyd]
Potania: Is Cold, Also Dark demo 1.1. "'Potania: Is Cold, Also Dark', is a town management game where you must guide your village and it's inhabitants through hardship as you take on challenges that will test your management abilities." Download the demo for Windows, Mac, or for Linux.
Gratuitous Space Battles Outcasts debut trailer:
Meet the Outcast faction, featuring ten new ship designs, modules, and scenarios for Gratuitous Space Battles.
We also have two new developer diaries for The Walkking Dead to send you on your way.