Late Night Computing: January 3, 2013
by Tyler J. Smith, shacknews.com, Jan 3, 2013 5:00PM PST
Late Night Computing wraps up a rather boring January 3, 2013 here on Shacknews.
I've been playing Assassin's Creed III over the last several days, slowly making my trek through the wilderness. If there is one change I like, it's the addition of seasons and weather. The shifts are sometimes sudden, from sunny one moment to a stormy mess in a mission sequence thirty seconds later, but on the overall it's pretty nice. The next few titles should be interesting to see, development wise. Yearly iterations have seen the series take a downturn, so a break might be nice as next generation consoles are all but a certainty.
- Google's Larry Page gives his vision of the future to CNN Money, discussing the impact of technology on human development. [via CNN Money]
- Did giant tech corporations kill the do-it-yourself inventor? Salon seems to think so. [via Salon]
- Learn about copyright for free in a new course from edX and Harvard, beginning January 28, 2012. [via edX]
- Planning to impersonate someone on the Internet in Arizona? No more! And here I am, just trying to impersonate a professional. Silly me. [via ArsTechnica]
- The Federal Trade Commission ends its investigation into Google with a light reprimand. [via Reuters]
Chatty posts of the moment:
Make sure you log-in and check your filters if you can't see the following:
- "Daily Dark Souls. Last night, I played only my strength-based character. I FRAPS'ed a video of myself running the gargoyles. While on my way there, I noticed the church elevators cloud up and I realized I was about to be invaded (which is funny because watching the footage later, I actually see myself stop and do a fast U-turn), so I quickly summoned two guys to help me defend myself; only one made it into the game successfully. The invasion never came, but the two of us beat the hell out of the Bell Gargoyles. Into the Depths!" [by Omaha]
- "Terraria. I started playing again over the holidays. Pretty fun new patches. I like the new hard mode content, especially the drills. Has anyone (here) beaten the hard mode bosses? I'm trying to defeat the world destroyer or whatever (giant mechanical worm) and it's a beast. I'm certainly doing something wrong, but I'm not finding the wikis to be particularly helpful." [by daVinci1980]
ShootMania Storm beta 2 client 1.0. "Utilising the framework of TM2, ShootMania is a fast-paced FPS where players are on the main stage! You decide what to play and how to play it. Whether made exclusively for ShootMania Storm or created by the community, the wide variety of maps and gaming modes offered provide endless challenging experiences. Battle one on one, create a team or participate in a tournament... It’s easy to play, but hard to master! " Download the client here.
Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 Brutal War Crimes Bosnia trailer:
Travel to Bosnia with City Interactive to witness the brutal war crimes of Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2.