Late Night Computing: November 12, 2012
by Tyler J. Smith, shacknews.com, Nov 12, 2012 6:00PM PST
Welcome to the beginnings of a new week with Late Night Computing for Monday, November 12, 2012.
That didn't work out very well. It's never too early to break a New Year's resolution, which is precisely what I did over the weekend as I wound up going to the theatre to see Skyfall rather than sit outside and enjoy the fall sunshine with a novel. Shame on me. Oh well. The movie was great, though I think Casino Royale is still the king of the modern 007 era in my book.
- Wasteland 2 might be a little more realistic than you are expecting, thanks to a team of academic experts consulting on the game. [via ArsTechnica]
- Experience the mind-numbing distortions of spacial relativity first hand in A Slower Speed of Light, a free educational game by MIT. [via MIT Gamelab]
- Mozilla introduces Popcorn Maker, which makes video "hackable, linkable, remixable, and connected to the world around it." [via Mozilla]
- See what might have been and read the original script for Ridley Scott's Alien prequel, Prometheus, by Jon Spaiths. [via io9]
- Forgetful? Never lose your wallet ever with with the new Wallet TrackR service. [via TheNextWeb]
Chatty posts of the moment.
Make sure you log-in and check your filters if you can't see the following:
- "MONDAY DISCUSSION -- Older, lesser known adventure games. Who's got one to share? This weeks topic is not for the LucasArts titles, Myst, or Kings/Police Quest. No, we've talked about those far too much here in the Chatty. Instead, lets talk about some lesser known adventure PC games that you played years ago. I'll get the ball rolling with a couple that I can remember being really really fond of when I was a kid." [by eonix]
- "Best licensed soundtrack in a videogame. Is it... GTA: Vice City? It might be..." [by Wikus Van De Merwe]
Drox Operative demo 1.0. "Drox Operative is a starship action RPG with warring alien races, fierce space battles, a dynamic, evolving galaxy, and co-op multiplayer. In the Drox Operative demo, you can get a taste of the dynamic and ever changing galaxy. There is no time limit, but it does limit everything to around level 6. The demos are about 120 MB." Download the demo for Windows or Mac.
Hitman: Absolution Agent 47 ICA File trailer:
Get the inside scoop on Agent 47 with a short ICA File trailer for Hitman: Absolution.
DmC: Devil May Cry releases the first portion of the Absolute Power developer diary series, become the mastermind of your own island with a new trailer for Tropico 4 Gold, and Azure Twilight dawns for Planetside 2.