An hour of Star Wars: Battlefront 3 reveals cancelled game
by Alice O'Connor, shacknews.com, Jul 5, 2012 7:30AM PDT
Star Wars: Battlefront III was "pretty much done" when LucasArts cancelled the multiplayer Star War 'em up, developer Free Radical has said. Almost a whole hour of snazzy new footage from a leaked alpha build shows just how far along it was, though fans should be warned it may hurt to see it so close yet so far.
The footage captured by Past to Present Online shows the Rebels and Imperials warring across Cloud City, Kashyyyk, Mustafar the Death Star, and other famed Warsian locations. It's a little rough round the edges, as one would expect from an alpha, and a bogged down by running AI bots, but still something to see.
Free Radical co-founder Steve Ellis explained in April that a change in management at LucasArts brought a "change of direction" and the Star lords lost interest. "LucasArts' opinion is that when you launch a game you have to spend big on the marketing and they're right," he said. "But at that time they were, for whatever reason, unable to commit to spending big. They effectively canned a game that was finished."
Here's about as close as you'll get, then: