April NPD: Prototype 2, Kinect Star Wars top the charts
by Andrew Yoon, shacknews.com, May 10, 2012 4:00PM PDT
Gamers really wanted to meet their maker, apparently. Prototype 2 topped software sales in April, the latest sales figures from the NPD show. Other strong performers include Shacknews Game of the Year The Witcher 2, which was recently re-released on Xbox 360. MLB 12: The Show also stayed on the top 10, proving Sony's investment in the franchise was a wise one.
Microsoft continued its winning streak with the top-selling console in the US market. 236K systems were sold last month, and the Kinect Star Wars bundle helped drive the "average selling price" for hardware up. The hardware is undeniably attractive, even if the game isn't.
The retail channel continued to shrink, down 32% from last year. However, the "total consumer spend" on games including digital is estimated to be $1 billion.
Here is the full list:
- Top 10 Games (New Physical Retail only; across all platforms including PC)
- Prototype 2 (360,PS3)
- Kinect Star Wars (360)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
- Tiger Woods: PGA Tour 13 (360, PS3)
- NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2, PC)
- The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings (360, PC)
- Mario Party 9 (Wii)
- Mass Effect 3 (360, PS3, PC)
- Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3)
- MLB: The Show (PS3, PSV)
Major titles that have dropped off the list from last month include Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, SSX, Street Fighter X Tekken, Naruto, and MLB 2K12.