Ghost Recon: Future Soldier PC detailed, dated, DRMed and specced
by Alice O'Connor, shacknews.com, Apr 3, 2012 2:00PM PDT
After a lengthy and awkward silence on the PC edition of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Ubisoft has finally opened up and shared, well, most things you might want to know. Along with its release date--June 12, three weeks after on consoles--it's detailed the system requirements, one-time DRM activation, and PC-specific features including DirectX 11 whizz-bangs.
Ubisoft has wisely stepped away from its universally-disliked 'always-on' DRM scheme recently, and Future Soldier will only require you be online for a "one-time production registration at first launch" through your Uplay account. "From that point on," Ubisoft said in a press release, "no permanent connection is required, except for online modes."
As for PC-specific features, here's what you can expect:
- PC high standard visuals (DX11 renderer, new high-quality assets, new post process effects, multi-monitor solutions support, TriDef stereoscopic support).
- DirectX11 enhanced: tessellation (for soft 3D models), compute shaders-based realistic lighting (for global illumination), volumetric fog.
- Online widget: Party, Friends and Ghost Feed functionality can be accessed at any moment from any screen
- Extended party functionality: simplified and more flexible invitation system
- Party text chat
- Uplay Friends system
- Fully customizable controls for the localized keyboards
On the system requirements front, here's the recommended spec:
- CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q9450/ AMD Phenom II X4 940 or higher
- RAM: 2 GB Windows XP / 3 GB Windows Vista & 7
- Graphics Card: 1024 MB DirectX–compliant, Shader 4.0–enabled video card based on nVidia GeForce GTX 460 or AMD/ATi HD 5850 or better
And the bare minimum, which probably won't be much fun to play on:
- Processor: Intel Pentium D 3.0 Ghz or AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ 2.2Ghz
- RAM: 1GB Windows XP / 2GB Windows Vista or Windows 7
- Video card: 256 MB DirectX–compliant, Shader 4.0–enabled video card
- HDD space : 25 GB
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP (with Service Pack 3)/Windows Vista® (with Service Pack 2)/ Windows 7 (with Service pack 1), both 32 bit & 64 bit versions
Lastly, Ubisoft also shared the first screenshot of the PC edition: