February NPD: Final Fantasy, Amalur, Twisted Metal make the top 10
by Andrew Yoon, shacknews.com, Mar 8, 2012 4:30PM PST
February wasn't a particularly shocking month for the games industry. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is still the best-selling game; Xbox 360 is still the best-selling console (for the twelfth month in a row); and the top 10 is comprised of known franchises.
There are a few surprises, though. Kingdoms of Amalur makes a lone appearance as the only original IP in the top 10. Skylanders accessories generated more than $17 million in sales and "if added to the sales generated by the software, Skylanders easily claims the top spot for content-related sales,” according to NPD's Anita Frazier.
PS Vita had four days at retail for NPD's February reporting time (1/29 through 2/25), but it already generated $10 million in accessory sales. Unsurprisingly, the top retail Vita game was Uncharted: Golden Abyss--showing that the $50 price tag didn't really scare people off. Unfortunately, it only made it into the top 20, not top 10.
Here is the full list:
- Top 10 Games (New Physical Retail only; across all platforms including PC)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
- Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3, 360)
- UFC Undisputed 3 (360, PS3)
- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (360, PS3, PC)
- Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3)
- NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2, PC)
- Soul Calibur V (360, PS3)
- Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360, PS3, PC)
- Twisted Metal 2012 (PS3)
- Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)