PS Vita firmware 1.61 released
by Alice O'Connor, shacknews.com, Feb 21, 2012 7:30AM PST
If you're going to pick up a PlayStation Vita on launch day tomorrow, you have a treat to look forward to in the form of its system software update v1.61. What marvelous treats will this add as you wait to play with this shiny new toy? If you wait just one second, I'll tell you.
The 1.61 firmware update will bestow these features upon new Vita update owners:
- A new application, (Maps), has been added to the home screen.
- In addition to photos, you can now take videos using the Photo application.
- You can now publish stories about the products that you rate in PlayStation Store to Facebook.
- In near, players' information is now displayed on the Discoveries screen. On this screen, a list of the online IDs of up to 100 players that you have encountered, and the number of times that you encountered each player, are displayed. Tap an online ID to display that player's profile screen.
- The Mac OS version of Content Manager Assistant for PlayStation has been released. The Windows version has also been updated.
You may notice that this all sounds awfully like what came in the 1.60 firmware update, which Vita owners who picked up the First Edition Bundle will have already downloaded. That's because Sony has helpfully rolled the changes into one set of notes. If you're one an early-adopter already running 1.60, Sony says that 1.61 will still "improve certain aspects of the system software" but offers no specifics. It's available now, so get installing.