Skyrim wins AIAS Game of the Year
by Steve Watts, shacknews.com, Feb 10, 2012 7:45AM PST
The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences held its Interactive Achievement Awards at DICE last night, and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim took home the Game of the Year prize, among four other awards. The game also won RPG of the year, and outstanding achievements for story, gameplay engineering, and gameplay direction.
Uncharted 3 and Portal 2 each walked away with three awards. Uncharted won a set of technical awards (visual engineering, art direction, animation), while Portal 2 won varied awards for music composition, character performance, and connectivity.
Bastion from newcomer Supergiant Games won the Downloadable crown, while Fruit Ninja Kinect and Infinity Blade 2 won best casual and mobile game, respectively.
"Each year the Interactive Achievement Awards sees the top minds and personas of our industry coming together to not only celebrate, but recognize one another for the achievements of the year," said academy president Martin Rae in the announcement. "2011 produced an outstanding number of fantastic games in all areas of the industry - console, PC, social and mobile - we are truly witnessing a new golden age of gaming."
Check out the full breakdown of winners below.
- Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition - Portal 2
- Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design - Battlefield 3
- Outstanding Achievement in Story - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Outstanding Character Performance - Portal 2 (Wheatley)
- Downloadable Title of the Year - Bastion
- Casual Game of the Year - Fruit Ninja Kinect
- Social Networking Game of the Year - The Sims Social
- Role-Playing/Massively Multiplayer Online Game of the Year - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Outstanding Innovation in Gaming - Skylanders Spyro's Adventure
- Sports Game of the Year - FIFA 12
- Racing Game of the Year - Forza Motorsport 4
- Fighting Game of the Year - Mortal Kombat
- Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year - Orcs Must Die!
- Family Game of the Year - LittleBigPlanet 2
- Mobile Game of the Year - Infinity Blade II
- Handheld Game of the Year - Super Mario 3D Land
- Adventure Game of the Year - Batman: Arkham City
- Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay - Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Outstanding Achievement in Connectivity - Portal 2
- Action Game of the Year - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
- Outstanding Achievement in Animation - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
- Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
- Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
- Outstanding Achievement in Gameplay Engineering - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Game of the Year - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim