gamers (100%) found this review helpful
Pros -beautiful graphics -nonstop balls to the wall action -smooth and fluid mechanics of shooting and sliding -enjoyed looking for guns to upgrade
Cons -too short -no armor upgrades
Bottom Line The equation for this game goes as follows: Gears of War + Halo + Zone of the Enders = Vanquish, and thats definitely not a bad thing. This game moves at break neck speed and is a very solid shooter. For most people this game is only worth a rent because it's so short (took me 3.5 hours). But I enjoyed it so much, I think it's easily worth $20, and if you're a fan of 3rd person shooters, then this game is a must.
gamers (88%) found this review helpful
Most Import Points:
1) This game is fast and furious. Its so fluid and there's never a hint of lag, framerate drop, or slowdown. I found myself not being able to put it down because it flowed right into the next stage without stopping.
2) It looks gorgeous and very detailed
3) It's a SEGA game and very Japanese (For me at least). I don't mean this as a putdown, just pointing out that there are themes that don't quite click if you are used to playing western developed games. There are story and humor elements that don't quite come across in western culture...and everyone in the US uses the 'F bomb' for punctuation in every conversation</sarcasm>
4) There is some deeper strategy involved with the suit power levels, the weapons you level up, and how you use your dash/bullet time. It's fun.
5) The story is passable but suffers from some bad writing. The gameplay makes up for it though.
posted by DGLantern (GRAND PRAIRIE, TX) Jan 25, 2011
Member since Jan 2011
gamers (89%) found this review helpful
Okay, yes I know at first glance it's a "Sega" title, and if you're an avid gamer like me, you know that a game from them within the last 5 years or so has been less than sub-par. Then comes Vanquish, which manages to redefine the 1st personal, tactical, futuristic, crazy boss battles game. You could compare this game to Gears of War, or GRAW in terms of the ability to find cover, and pick off your enemies one by one, but the point of this game is speed. Your character Sam is the sole pilot of an advanced suit of armor. When the western coast is hit by a weaponized microwave (think puppy in the microwave urban myth story) it's up to you and your contact to stop the terrorist threat that just so happens to take place in a space colony just outside of earth's atmosphere. Armed with the ability to replicate any weapon, booster jets that allow you to slide across stage effortlessly and when times get tough, the cool ability to slow down time to a crawl, nothing can stand in your way.
Although the voice acting can be very cheesy at times, the sound effects are great, and everything fits well within the environment. Explosions sound massive, you can hear bullets wizz past your head, and the cry's of your lesser-equipped team mates dying.
This game really shines in the graphics department, everything is smooth and polished. The backgrounds and sceneries are beautiful to look at, and typically something you'll see off in the distance, you'll see it get closer to you with each step. Your suit of armor changes depending on what type of gear you equip yourself with. It feels as though it's alive. Lighting, character animation, and movie sequences flow effortlessly between game play and scripted scenes.
Game Play: 10
If you want a fun game that you'll never put down until you beat it, (which might not take you that long, 8 hours) Then you'll love this game. From when you pick up the controller the action never stops.