I've never written a review on this site before, and I told myself I wouldn't until I found something of worth...but this game is so bad, that I feel like I needed to warn everyone ahead of time.
Where to start? Oh, i have it...
The physics...ARE YOU SERIOUS? The vehicles (every one of them) feel like they are sliding on jelly, or something equal. You will swerve side to side in an attempt to actually control these things without looking like a drunk , inept 10 year old, but chances are, you won't get a feel for it, especially if you enjoy racing games where the vehicles are actually ENJOYABLE to drive.
The graphics, and track designs are also miserable. Graphic wise...this game would be up there with something the original Xbox/Ps2 could handle, since none of the vehicles or tracks are detailed what so ever. Everything is bland, ugly, and just kind of sits there against an equally ugly background. Track wise...its hard to explain...they tried to say this game was a "true" experience...but I wasn't aware that the baja 1000 had giant wooden ramp jumps and the ability to put the drivers asleep. OH , That's another thing, this game has ZERO sense of speed. You could do 180mph in this game, and you don't feel like you're going ANYWHERE.
What a wasted rental...save your rental for something that's actually enjoyable.
ps- this isn't even worth the achievment hunting, if anyone asks.
This is the first time I have ever scored a game a "1". And I was hesitant at first...but I decided it definitely deserved it. Look - I am an off-road enthusiast. I do it as a hobby and when I am not in the desert, I play it on my Xbox360 (previously my PS2 and even my PS1 back in the day).
This game is junk. I literally spent LESS than 10 minutes on this game before I sealed it back up to put in the mail. I was excited for another baja game to buy - but I guess I picked the right one the first time with the new Baja game that recently released (in comparison I rated that an "8").
In the seven to ten minutes I played this game here is what I found:
1. Sub-par graphics...for a PS2...let alone that is was on a next-gen console like the 360!!
2. Ridiculous physics. I mean ridiculous. I was on a dirtbike and hit a "stalled" trophy truck - t-boned it at 65mph and the truck FLIPPED into a roll and I FELL off my bike....Like... FELL. Didn't fly....FELL. What the?!?! My 350lbs of bike and man FLIPPED a 3000lb or more trophy truck. Impressive.
3. Handling is kind of like playing Road Rash all over again, very stiff, rigid handling.
4. The tracks are very linear, not like baja at all, it is like being on a giant supercross track with obstacles. Stupid.
5. Since when did we go back to old school racing and add a turbo button? This is like old Excite Bike where you can boost but you can overheat from it. Come on - it works great in Excite Truck for the Wii - but that is an arcade style racer. Don't make a racer built on a real event and sponsored by real event coordinators and add stupid stuff like turbo boost.
6. Why did my dirtbike only got 60-65mph WIDE OPEN?? And only 80mph WIDE OPEN on TURBO? That's the slowest Baja bike I've ever seen.
Don't rent it. Don't buy it. Heck - if I had bought it I'd even ask Activision for a refund (or at least write them an email and call them mean names, LOL). It is THAT bad.