posted by superwilks (CHEVY CHASE, MD) Aug 22, 2007
Member since Jul 2007
gamers (33%) found this review helpful
let me preface this by saying i am not a NASCAR fan but wanted to give this game a chance because the franchise has been so highly received in the past. I certainly don't fully understand the nuances of NASCAR racing, but it didn't take too long to get the hang of this game.
1) can be fun to bully a bit on the track and sacrifice precision and making allies for aggressive driving and 1st place finishes.
2) easy to tweak the car to perform better for your individual style
3) fun to build your character and race up ladder of circuits
4)the driving controls as well as developing a driving style took only a full race to understand.
1) umm, you drive in a circle. the entire game. i suppose i should've realized how boring that can get...
2) had DIRT for the xbox360 at the same time and found more often than not, i got tired of NASCAR and switched games
3) not enough ways to upgrade car and as you progress, upgrades get too expensive too fast
4) some of the game play features were awful. if you get spun out early in the race amidst a large group of other racers, you sometimes need to reverse and reset by that time, you can already be down too much to recover
5) i reached virtually every "medallion" yet only was credited with doing so a fraction of the time. For example, if a race calls for you to pass 20 cars (in a field of about 22) i figured i'd just skip the time trials and start last. Every time i did this and won (meaning i went from 22nd place to 1st), i never received a medallion for this accomplishment
6) if you get far enough ahead early on, you basically drive in circles by yourself for sometimes 20 laps. drove me insane and i was ready to punch a wall.
7) seems to be only about a dozen different courses. maybe it's realistic but again, it was like fingernails on a chalkboard to me:
i know many people LOVE this game and i honestly gave it a real chance, but in the end, i was just driving in circles. BORING! rent DIRT over NASCAR!!
If you kinda liked NASCAR 07, then you will like this game a little better. But the replay value is not as high unless you are a NASCAR junkie and you can't get enough NASCAR, then I would recommend renting it. But don't buy it until it drops to about $20 to $25 bucks. Also I like that you can sign short contracts (in Earn Your Stripes mode AKA Fight to the Top) not like the last 2 games that you had to stay with that team until the end of the year. And if you sign a long contract and it would run into the next year, it will end at the end of the season and you could resign or find a better offer. Hope this rambling helped.
This game is awesome. They changed the Fight to the Top Mode to something called Earn your Stripes. It's almost the same but it is just as good. Anyways, the graphics are next-gen, The sound quality is excellent, and the gameplay is awesome. There isn't Carl Edwards though in the game! YOU SHOULD BUY IT!