The title says it all. The game had potential, but didn't come through. Baseball is a sport that should fit the Wii perfectly, but hasn't yet. Here's a list of the big problems I encountered:
- The game is buggy. I've thrown out guys at 1st for the 3rd out, but they've allowed the runner on 3rd to score. That's inexcusable.
- I looked for a way to sort free agents by ratings, but couldn't find anything. There aren't even separated by position during the season.
- Contracts in the game do not match real life. For example, Francisco Cordero is signed for 4 years in real life, but only for 1 year in the game.
- Contracts are not believable. 80 OA pitchers will sign for under a million dollars, for example.
- Bad AI. Teams will trade young, mid-80 OA SP for older players who are near retirement. When the computer rests a starter, they put the backup in his batting spot. Thus bums are batting 4th in the order. Just a couple examples.
- The Wii remote is not used effectively. It's the same motion for every pitch. You would think they could arrange it so each pitch has a different motion with the Wii remote. The Bigs tried that and failed, but you'd think 2k would be able to get it right. Batting is pretty good, but you'll still check your swing at least once a game when you don't want to do so.
- Player ratings are not very good. Brandon Phillips was one of the best 2B in the league last year and is a very, very average player in the game. Then there is Corey Patterson, whom the game thinks is good enough to start for a lot of teams. Bad.
So like I said, this game could and should have been good, but it's not.
I loaded this game up, started an exhibition game...didn't even make it through the first inning. This game is as boring as watching paint dry. The controls are very poor. If you wanna play a good baseball game get the bigs. This one just isn't worth it.
posted by LolaMaisy (San Clemente, CA) Mar 11, 2008
Member since Jun 2007
What a difference a year can make! Unlike a lot of Wii players, I rent a game for the sheer enjoyment. I really don't care about graphics, bugs or anything tech-related really. So after playing MLB 2K7, I was really looking forward to the release of 2K8. All I can say is what a disappointment!!
To me, it seemed like the game designers were so worried about getting the little details so life-like, that they overlooked one big thing--it's boring!! The game looks and sounds good, but that's it.
I found the different options very confusing. So much so, it took about 30 minutes for me to lose total interest. I love my sports game usually, but MLB 2K8 was, to put it simply, just no fun. Best advice...don't waste your time.