Critic & User Reviews
Repetitious and eventually boring
posted by crosshair_eyed (NORTH FORK, CA) Sep 24, 2013
Member since Jul 2012
3 out of 3 gamers (100%) found this review helpful
Fun but not ground breaking
posted by wingzero7X (TEMECULA, CA) Sep 1, 2013
Member since Feb 2011
2 out of 2 gamers (100%) found this review helpful
First two hours were fun, then what happened?
posted by Gamingcurse (KELSO, WA) Nov 26, 2013
Member since Mar 2012
1 out of 1 gamers (100%) found this review helpful
I'll be honest, for the first 2 hours I had so much fun I didn't feel like I was having any issues with the game at all. In the beginning I had some issues with the ADS (Aiming Down Sights) however once I tweaked the sensitivity it was perfect, the game went on great.
The game really conveys the whole Alone and claustrophobic feelings similar to games such as Dead Space and Fear. Graphically the game is awesome as with the audio it shows that both Playstation 3 and XBox 360 still has some staying power if the games are done right. It still shows that PS3 and XBox 360 are capable of producing beautiful games if they are done right.
With that said, it's now time for my experiences with the game after the first two hours, it honestly feels like someone else developed the game after those first two hours. What do I mean? I mean that I was on a mission to get a winch for my Rig once I got it I was sent on a mission to locate some Thermal Energy (T-Energy) pockets. I approached a cliff where I'm suppose to use the winch however the defined spot to use the winch is so finicky that if you aren't in this one millimeter spot it won't work and for me that's a major turn off.
After 15 minutes of getting the winch to work I continued on to the area where I was forced to give up, that spot is where I'm facing a huge Acrid in my Rig this boss I fought 3 prior times before getting in the Rig. The issue with this is at least to me the controls are so awful by this point it's impossible to continue on.
So as I said the game was fun over the first two hours but after this I couldn't continue it's sad because this game had so much going for it but once that mission with the winch started the game went downhill real fast. I hope if they make another LP game they fix the errors of this game.
A solid 5 from me.
Better than I expected
posted by chuck74 (SAN DIEGO, CA) Sep 1, 2013
Member since Dec 2009
2 out of 3 gamers (67%) found this review helpful
As many professional reviews have indicated this game is more of a reboot than a sequel of the Lost Planet series.
It has much of the feel of prior Lost Planet games, but many changes too. In particular it is more of a story based game and has some of the feel of Dead Space 3. Some changes like T-Eng being currency instead of necessary for survival I liked. One of the most bizarre and negative changes in my opinion is the mech combat (it is a utility mech only so combat only allows melee and drilling....ie. no guns).
It is not a great game, but I ended up liking it the more I played. The game had potential, but lack of polish and fetch based errands has it not live up to its potential.
I should also warn it has serious frame rate issues and other technical glitches/bugs that detract at times.
Interestingly the multiplayer component is pretty good. It is a 3rd person cover based shooter, but actually plays pretty well. Also you have mech combat in the multiplayer.
1) story is actually pretty good (you will like the guy)
2) multiplayer is better than expected
1) bugs and frame rate issues
2) fetch quests get dull
3) horrible decision to take guns off of the mechs
The most frustrating game played
posted by striders13 (WALNUT CREEK, CA) May 11, 2014
Member since Oct 2011
- Shot with pistol (you're out of ammo)
Search for Cat-L Akrid Boss for an example. I like hard game, but making you spend 35 minutes to defeat ONE boss?
It's the game design, not how you play. I tried this scene 3 times and same thing. You will be out of ammo then down to the weakest weapon - a pistol. It's like how the designed wants it to be. OK, then, I have better time that to play this.
posted by Lateralus70 (SALEM, OR) May 3, 2014
Member since May 2014
posted by INSAN3J3D1 (HIALEAH, FL) Mar 26, 2014
Member since Apr 2010
Poor game design make this a time-waster
posted by xbows (OMAHA, NE) Feb 20, 2014
Member since Aug 2011
Additionally, the HUD screen text is too small to read easily, even on my 70" screen, and is often impossible to read against the background, depending upon where you're standing. Aiming the weapons is frustratingly difficult. First-person is SOOO much easier for shooters.
Aside from all of these poor design elements, there is limited gameplay outside the main story line, making this a very unsatisfying game to play. Thumbs down, and whoever ultimately signed off on releasing this game without putting it through solid QA testing should be demoted.
Earlier lost planets were better.
posted by BigScary (REDMOND, WA) Jan 12, 2014
Member since Oct 2009
posted by Savage1 (NORTH HAMPTON, OH) Dec 23, 2013
Member since Apr 2008
Starts off good! .....then...yeah...
posted by StyleGamer (FOUNTAIN, CO) Nov 16, 2013
Member since Sep 2010
- Great visuals. One thing this game did well was capture that "hostile" and "zero degree" EDN 3. The games visuals made you feel like it was going to be a battle to survive and your base was the only positive thing you had.
- Decent gunplay. I did enjoy shooting Akrid on campaign more then I did on LP1 or LP2. The assault rifle and shotgun handle well and the grenade launcher does not disappoint.
- The main character feels like a main character. If your into story this will please you. Jim Peyton is a very relatable character and goes from trying to provide for his wife and kid to taking on a much bigger role.
- Repetitive, repetitive, repetitive. Every mission is laid out the same to the point where its just absurd. It goes like this: Take rig to objective, kill akrid (either mob or boss), fix machine with rig. That gets very boring...very fast.
- Tight and confined map. I hate this to death. It seems even when you are out in the open on EDN3 you feel confined to a small area. the NEVEC base is also very tiny. Every where you go in the game its like a tight hallway. Very lame!!!
- Multiplayer is a HUGE step back. Pathetic compared to the last two games. No one is ever online and they took the old grappling hook out, no VS weapons, and no energy weapons. HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE. This alone docks the games quality a ton.
Overall I just cant recommend this game to anyone. Even hardcore Lost Planet fans should skip this one. It just doesn't add anything to the series and in the end it feels boring and shallow.