posted by chefred67 (INDIANAPOLIS, IN) Feb 18, 2014
Member since Sep 2009
gamers (50%) found this review helpful
When I saw the trailers I was very excited for the game. I still had my excitement even after playing it. The visuals are great, the combat is fast paced and fun. The different outfits and their abilities reminded me of X-2 ( which was one of my top 5 FF games) and it made it more strategic then fashionable.
That is where the positive ends though. The mission where very time consuming and unwanted. Paired with the fact that the only way to increase your stats was to do these missions. You don't get any experience from enemies that you will fight ALOT. Which leaves your limited time grinding on many gathering missions only to get minor stat increases. Seeing as how the main mission of the game is to gather souls I found myself only able to collect 1 to 2 souls each in-game day, thus not making much progress. The storyline also seemed kind of rushed and thrown at you to try and understand.
On a side note the community messages are a nice touch. People sharing funny moment and showing off their build is a very fun addition. All-in-all the beautiful visuals and great combat are the high point, but the limited time grinding and the rushed storyline keep this game from being only a renting title.
gamers (43%) found this review helpful
Boring Lightning Barbie Waifu Dress-up Simulator.
Why I hate this game.
1) This is a cliched, convoluted and boring story.
2) A timed game forcing you to rush through and not enjoy one of the more open worlds offered of the three series.
3) Offers an action combat system is button mashing switching back and forth while the infernal bonk,bonk,bonk shrieks at you.
4) Tons of spells but no healing spells offered? Maybe I didn't play through long enough, but my eyes were bleeding.
5) All NPC's are now World of Warcraft characters? Where is Mankriks wife? Fetch quests and killing ten rats...been there, done that.
6) And Lightning looked out of proportion with her peglegs. Didn't even look right in all these weird outfits you had to play Barbie with. If I am forced to play Barbie, let the woman look like a woman please.
Do yourself a favor, pass on the whole Fabula Nova Crystallis series and wait for the remake of FFX and FFX-2 (the original FF barbie dress up game.) These two go back to the heyday of the franchise and offers tons more depth.
And where were the summons?
I am a FF collector and have many games in the series. One day I know I will be forced to buy this one, but it will be at a deep, deep discount out of the discount bin.
Exactly where I found FFXIII and FFXIII-2.
If FFXV doesn't absolutely blow my doors off I am going to turn my back on the whole franchise altogether.
I'm going to be brutally honest: This game is a trainwreck and should be taken out back and shot.
1. I don't enjoy playing a game where I have to rush and beat the clock. I've got enough stress in my life and I don't need a video game adding to it by rushing me through. The game clock was the dumbest idea since Breath of Fire. Speaking of which...
2. Square Enix, do you not review the games of your peers? Capcom tried this system with their NOW DEAD Breath of Fire series. Gamers HATED IT and the series died. Are you trying to do that for Final Fantasy?
3. The clock countdown is further enraging by the fact that side-quests are peppered everywhere, but not all at the same time. You see, in order to get/complete Sidequest A, you have to go to XYZ location, at ABC time. It's a BORING MESS.
4. Combat is worthless. Unless you're fighting for sidequest-related items, there's almost no reason to fight enemies because there's no level-up system.
5. Items are ridiculous. I can wear a pair of earrings that give me 40 strength, yet a cosmetic hat gives no bonus? If I wanted to play dress-up (IE, garbs) I'd buy barbie dolls.
6. This game is tedious at best and a trainwreck at worst. I was excited to get my hands on it and I was let down within the first hour.
7. I enjoy RPG's but every 5 minutes I don't need a monologue from a sidequest character on who they are, what their problem is, and how I can help them - only to realize I just lost 15 minutes of game time (which is A LOT) listening to their story.
8. Square Enix, you're a dying company. Get your gear together, FIRE EVERYBODY in your staff - and I do mean EVERYBODY - and try and get the staff who made FF3 (6 Japan) or FF7 back together.
In short, stop trying new stuff that doesn't work! Listen to your gamers, we're telling you what we want and this isn't it! Stick to what you do best and stop trying to be everything to everyone. There's a reason you were insanely successful with the NES/SNES/PS1