gamers (100%) found this review helpful
Quick review of Killer is Dead
- Graphics and art style look great. Fantastic art direction and presentation. The lighting is superb. Heavy shadows and bright lights give it a unique look despite using the Unreal Engine 3.
- Some of the best music in a Suda game. Yes even better than No More Heroes. Some of Akira Yamaoka's best work.
- The combat is bloody and fast. Seems limited at first but opens up once you upgrade Mondo.
- Interesting locales. One of the stages takes place on the freaking moon!
- Nonsensical story. It never explains it self well and barely opens up and makes the player infer too much by the end.
- Bad localization. The dialogue and writing sounds awkward and makes little sense.
- Poor voice acting. A lot of the voice actors have little emotion and awkward delivery. This could be contributed to the bad writing. The only stand out performance is Liam O' Brien as David but is given bad lines.
- Weak characters. The characters are given very little back story or personalities.
- Gigolo Missions. For me personally I don't mind how the women are portrayed. It is done in a humorous fun way but these missions are not fun to play and add very little to the game.
- Poor side content. The side missions and challenges are quite frustrating with difficult requirements and lack of direction on what you should be doing and they last for far too long than they should be.
- Cut content. One whole level was cut out of the game to be sold as DLC later. The events of the DLC is he even mentioned in the main game.
- Camera Issues. The game occasionally has camera issues and the lack of a lock-on function does not help it.
Killer is Dead could have been Suda's best game but falls short in some aspects that makes it fall to just a mediocre hack and slash. If you are a fan of Suda's style of presentation go for it, you are okay with skipping it. Go rent No More Heroes or Shadows of the Damned instead.
posted by Ilikethemwaffls (STERLING, VA) Oct 6, 2013
Member since Oct 2013
gamers (100%) found this review helpful
The reviews are SO over exaggerated. Yes this game is extremely weird, but that's what makes it SO amazing. The gameplay is extremely fun and addicting. It never gets old since you're constantly learning new abilities. The voice acting is not the BEST but it is VERY well done. Amazing game that I would recommend to ANYBODY that loves anime, because this is just like one, except 10x more fun and immersive. Absolutely love it.
posted by whtupyu (OKLAHOMA CITY, OK) Oct 20, 2014
Member since Sep 2014
This game has amazing visuals. It just looks like a comic in motion. All of the art direction is great and the soundtrack is just amazing.
The game play is pretty good. I enjoyed all of the cool stuff you get to do. The bosses you get to fight are great.
I bought the game immediately after playing just a little bit into. Now I'm going for the platinum. :)
This game is a good time killer to play while waiting for another game to get to you if you do more than the one game thing. A 5 at best keeps me entertained enough but does not give me a reason to want to play other than boredom. .
posted by PipsMcClawski (WINSTON SALEM, NC) May 8, 2014
Member since Oct 2012
The story made absolutely no sense to me but the combat sequences are really fun. Especially once you start racking up high combos and turn into a sword wielding tornado. The side missions added a little extra challenge too. I wouldnt take this game seriously though or you may be disappointed.
The game is easily one of the weirdest of this generation, that's a given. The story while awesome is also lacking in the ending department but that could be for future expansions. The voice acting is good for some characters but god aweful for others. (think naruto except more then 2% of the cast has actual talent). graphics and ambience are perfect for its direction and I personally like mondo a lot as a lead. all and all it dose have replayability and comes with a bit of a learning curve but rewards later on, I definitely enjoyed my time with killer is dead.
improvements could be made however in the simple detail area. A minimap, lock on system and a couple more voiceactors worth their salt would make this game nearly perfect. I personally loved it.
The reviews of gamefly can be a tadbit overdramatic, don't read the ones with less then a few hundred words on it because they probably don't even know what their talking about.
posted by Zoobrax (FUQUAY VARINA, NC) Sep 16, 2013
Member since Jun 2008
Killer is Dead is another game from bizarre and excellent game creator, Suda 51 and I've loved his games. This one however, I can't get into. Its just too weird, way to weird. The game play is good, but I could not get into the game since its so bizarre.