gamers (91%) found this review helpful
8 = Very Good according to the review standards here. Keep this in mind.
I love Fallout. I've played since the first on PC back in the day. Fallout 3 was spectacular. Fallout New Vegas is "VERY GOOD." However, it only deserves an 8 for many reasons.
1. They have not improved the engine. In fact it's the same engine. That's fine; it still looks good. But you can't bank on it forever.
2. The bugs are still there, if not worse... 2 years later. Whether it's my arm jumping up and getting stuck in the middle of the screen, things floating in the air or being stuck in the dirt, or my game just deciding to turn itself off randomly. There are bugs. I understand that games have bugs, and this environment has a million possibilities for being so open. But I know I'm not the only one. And you need to fix some major stuff 2 years later.
3. Load times... very long.
4. Poor main story. But it does make up for it in an amazingly deep game full of things to do and side quests.
There are others, but I think those to be the major. Now onto the good!
1. Hardcore mode - You need to sleep, drink, and eat. It's hardcore man. Ammo has weight, and much more. Not for the feint of heart.
2. Crafting and Gathering - it's cool and not mandatory.
3. New weapons, armor, and effects of things like disguising yourself. Neat-o! Oh and you can track kills and other achievements which give added perks.
4. City Reputation - Good information to know and makes it nice to see where you can get a discount!
5. Mini-games. Gotta love it, it's Vegas baby!
6. Dark Humor. Without it, well, it just wouldn't be Fallout.
Overall - It says something if I still have put hours and hours into a game that has this many problems. A patch would be nice, but I won't stop playing it even if they don't put one out!
posted by Thebrettjackson (KELLER, TX) Oct 6, 2011
Member since Oct 2011
gamers (100%) found this review helpful
Many reviews say this game is terrible, buggy, glitchy, a technological nightmare, Etc. As these reviews are partially true the game should not be judged on this. Also a game as vast as this one does have the potential to freeze at least once in between the start and finish of your adventure. There is other complaints on the loading screens. These are rubbish. Once again, in a virtual world as vast as this, there needs to be a loading screen. If you want the game to take place in an area as big as your backyard swimming pool, then there might be no loading screens!
The game-play of this game is the epitome of an RPG. If you don't like RPG's you won't like this game. If you do, this is the best of the best. I highly suggest this game to anyone who enjoys story lines and getting to control which way the story goes. The fights are fun and perk-upgrade system is very enjoyable. I could be on my knees praising this game for hours. The pros of this game out weigh the cons with no comparison. Fantastic game. 10/10, add this game to your Game Q. You will not regret it
gamers (92%) found this review helpful
This game is everything Fallout 3 should have been. The choices you make play a more noticeable role in New Vegas. Also the map is a lot more enjoyable to traverse. Navigating the subway system in Fallout 3 became a real chore very fast.
The only problem with this game are the bugs. This game can be buggy at times. But each update that has been released has fixed several problems. SO after about a year this game should be relatively bug free.
Even with the bugs. I still logged 45 hours before I decided to finish the main quest. I still had many places left to explore.
9/10 I'd have given New Vegas a 10 if it were not for the bugs