So I rented this yesterday and had it back in my mailbox this morning.
The graphics looked amazing, the setting was good, the intro was good.
But good god, the combat system made me want to drown puppies.
Basically, you mash X. You occasionally hit L or R or Square, but not too often. And you watch your character attack, at nearly real time, but with this slight annoying delay that makes you realize quickly the game is neither turn based nor an action rpg.
For this reason I had to return it after a few hours in... I just couldn't put up with the combat system.
A badly designed Final Fantasy is a real surprise,and that is my overall opinion of this game.The dumbest battle system ever implemented and mind numbingly boring,long,unskipabble cut scenes really made finishing this game a chore.The first Final Fantasy i have not enjoyed playing.Randon leveling up is incredibly stupid and hopefully will never curse a Final Fantasy again.
posted by Jeramiah (SALT LAKE CITY, UT) Apr 13, 2008
Member since Mar 2008
gamers (15%) found this review helpful
Ok first of all this game is way overhyped. I own Final Fantasys 7-12 and in no way does it even come close to FF7. The things that i hate about this game, (in order from first to last), are:
1. Slot machine DMW system is used for everything!! This includes summoning, leveling up your character and materia, limit breaks. I can understand adding a random element to the LB system because of all the dependency on limit break that arised from FF8, and the tricks to getting a LB every turn, (using Aura), But random leveling? Are you freaking Kidding me? I know alot of people just go around leveling up their characters but you could make the monsters/bosses get harder after certain levels also found it FF8.
2. You have no armor and cannot change your weapon. For example if you wanted to increase your attack power or defense you have to either level up or equip materia that have defense+1 or attack+3 attribute etc, (the materia only have one attribute). This REALLY suck becaus you can only equip 4-6 materia at a time. Say you equip cure, fire, steal, and HP+, you have no room to equip any more materia.
3. Corny, Corny, Corny, Corny. This game has more corn then all of the midwest. Genesis will read a line from his favorite play loveless, "infinite in mystery, is the gift of the goddes, We seek it thus and take to the sky," and at first its cool. But then he reads it again, again, and again throughout the game every time you see him thats the first thing that comes out of his mouth until it becomes a cliche. The zack character is extremely corny, "I am going to be first," The first half of the games thats all he talks about like a 13 year old girl and it's quite annoying.
4. It Climaxes way too soon. All the major events in the game happen in the first half of the game, then it just drags on after that and your just waiting for it to end.
5. It doesn't tell you anything you didn't already know or suspect if you have played FF7