The graphics the outstanding, I had a ton of fun playing this game. There are some difficult parts to this game but, over all it was a great game and I would gladly buy it and keep it in my collection. If you are old enough to remember the original games this is a big jump.
The trailers made it look inviting. But the game it self not so much. At first OH MY GOD wow. Then later so annoying. Its almost like playing the first all over again, some of the new powers you get make it seem easier. If you do finish the game you will thank god its over. Start NEW GAME+ then it'll be easy.
posted by Isalon (SOUTH PORTLAND, ME) Mar 20, 2014
Member since Aug 2011
This game is horrible. I've played at least half of the Castlevania games across multiple systems from NES onward and this is by far one of the worst if not THE worst.
I picked it up because the original LoS was refreshing and I enjoyed playing through. I have multiple complaints that made me quit about 33% through the game.
- For once, the music really sucks. WdaF Konami?
- Combat controls suck. I'm CONSTANTLY fighting with the controller to do what I want. I find myself attacking in one direction when I've held the analog stick towards another direction.
- Combat is complicated. Dodge this attack, guard that attack, combo the enemy to get mana but don't get hit or your combo breaks. Battles require blocking. REQUIRE. If you want to get through even the basic of minion fights - many of which are unavoidable to begin with - you need to block. If you dont, they take at least twice as long.
- For the Prince of Darkness, I'm surprised I have to depend on a mana pool for my L1 and R1 weapons. The boss battle that made me ragequit the game involves several mechanics: 1. I'm "poisoned", so damage I take brings me permanently closer to death 2. The boss has a protective shield that I need to bust through with use of a magic ability 3. That magic ability is no longer useable without mana 4. I have to land a required number of combo hits on minions the boss summons in order to REGENERATE mana 5. If I take damage while this happens, not only do I become permanently closer to death (See 1.) but my combo meter resets (RESETS) which means I start over. Ridiculously difficult boss battle.
- I played the game on the EASIEST difficulty, and still have the above complaints.
- For being Dracula, I feel EXTREMELY weak.
I love open world exploration, or even non-linear exploration with hidden bonuses. But between the frustrating difficulty and sucky combat (which is 75% of this game) it's not worth my time.
My time is precious to me; if yours is to you, skip