Critic & User Reviews
Beyond Good and Evil
posted by Foxx60 (CENTRAL POINT, OR) May 28, 2006
Member since Dec 2004
1 out of 1 gamers (100%) found this review helpful
This is a definite
posted by Buliwyf (JOHNSON CITY, TN) Aug 9, 2006
Member since Jan 2005
2 out of 3 gamers (67%) found this review helpful
The mechanics/gameplay are quite good. Storyline is great. I love the twist at the end.
The only problem is that it gets on the simple side at times.
Legend of Zelda Light
posted by MichaelO (PITTSBURGH, PA) May 6, 2012
Member since Sep 2010
1. The game just plays well and is made with care. The controls are intuitive, the maps are useful, the objectives (while sometimes set up as puzzles) are all doable without consulting a strategy guide or other resource. Playing this game made me appreciate how bad things like camera control, menu setup, item usage, and all the other minor features are in many 3D 3rd person games.
2. I also enjoyed the setting and the setup for the plot. The game is set in a futuristic world in which aliens are invading the planet, and you get tied up in the whole political situation that causes. This story gave me a lot more motivation to play than Zelda's typical "the princess has been captured" motif straight out of the 80s.
1. I found the game to be too short and too easy. There's nothing wrong with this per se, but it's not challenging enough to be considered a gem, in my opinion, and it's a defininite "rent."
2. The story has a good setup, but poor execution. Don't expect to be enthralled by a story with lots of interesting twists and turns. Once you get the basic gist of it, that's pretty much it. The ending was also disappointing.
1. I was surprised that, unlike Zelda or Metroid, the game emphasizes stealth and sneaking past enemies (almost like Hitman) more than fighting. Don't expect too much beat 'em up action.
2. Also, I feel compelled to say that the world of the game is very small. This is nice for getting to your objectives quickly, but the game is not very epic.
all around bad
posted by youbetcha (EVERETT, WA) Oct 31, 2011
Member since Oct 2011
the "best" game for gamecube that no one
posted by dmoney14 (SAN JOSE, CA) Jul 5, 2009
Member since Jun 2008
the turning point for me:
when a limosine driven by what looks like an AIG CEO drives up to you, and parks, and out of the back drives a taxi?!?!? yes!!!!!
posted by Dohboy (ATLANTA, GA) Oct 11, 2007
Member since Sep 2007
A Love/Hate Relationship
posted by Guardian42 (GRAND RAPIDS, MI) Oct 6, 2007
Member since Sep 2007
Honestly, when I started playing it, I wanted to find that love and love it too. Alas I couldn't.
I tried, I really did, but the game feels incomplete and unpolished.
First for the good stuff before I throw dirt on it: graphics and sound are great for the Cube, they really did a great job there. Story is also good, and the game plays a lot like Zelda.
Now for the bad: the controls, while they usually work, also feel incredibly sluggish. Turning is slow and the camera as well. She acts like she's running through water all the time. This can also make it difficult for big battles. Also, the game seems to have a few bugs in it as well. The game froze on me at odd moments several times, forcing me to restart and hope the last place I saved was close by. Usually it froze in mid-loading, but a few times , it froze while dodge a lazer trap or just walking a corner. Really, the freezing really made me hate this game, but i tried again each time, hoping that maybe it wasn't so bad and that the game behind it was still good. Yet, after so many freezes, I couldn't take it anymore.
So, while the game seems to be very well made and unique, there a few bits that you'll have to look past.
Decent to give a try and rent, but not to buy.
Great, but short
posted by nhlfan (SUN PRAIRIE, WI) May 14, 2007
Member since Apr 2007
Why Must This Game Fail?
posted by Xiang12 (HACIENDA HEIGHTS, CA) May 5, 2007
Member since Dec 2005