gamers (70%) found this review helpful
Assassin's Creed 3 fell short of my expectations, however it's still a good game. If this is the first game of the series you play, you'll love it; but if you've been a fan since Altair the game will be missing a lot of elements. The control set-up for free running is pretty much the same, but weapon controls have changed along to only two buttons and the block/disarm/counter have been molded into one button with different options that often don't do what you want. The new controls definitely lost points with me.
Another disappointment was the lackluster main character, Conner. After the cool and collected Altair and the charming yet efficient Ezio, Conner just falls flat and you have a hard time coming around to him, if you manage to at all.
While the locations and Revolutionary War provides for an interesting setting, it becomes a bit boring after awhile. Boston and New York are essentially the same in regards to buildings and the layout. The previous games provided rich and unique locations, but Colonial America just lacks the richness.
Overall it's a decent game but nowhere near as good as it's predecessors.
gamers (65%) found this review helpful
So, I felt the game was a bit overhyped and wanted to give a balanced review of the game. So here is what I think:
- Beautiful landscapes and rich environments
- Interesting story that integrates with historical events
- Hunting / tracking was a nice addition, I like playing as an Native American
- Naval combat is the best part of this game
- Cool finishing moves
- Story is interesting, but can be a bit slow in places (prologue is very long), bad ending to the game
- Cities are too big IMO, lots of similar scenary
- Horses are pointless, navigating them across the landscape is clunky
- The bad guy is more likeable than your character
- Glitches will have you frustrated
- Combat is un-inspired and is not fun (rinse and repeat the same moves)
- This game is pretty lacking in the assassinations
- For all options in the game, tutorials are practically non-existent leading you to just figure it out
- Crafting is pointless
- Tons of side missions that are all boring with little to no reward (fetch feathers, fetch trinkets, go here, go there => not fun)
- Most weapons are basically the same which makes earning them pointless (I used the same two weapons the majority of the game)
- You could take out the entire British army single handedly if they'd let you
- Worst fast travel system in about any game I've played. You will be running FOREVER between locations that are too far apart
- Checkpoints are bad in this game
- Why no waypoints in the present day?
Overall, I didn't enjoy this game very much but it's not a completely horrible game. I wish they would created another game that was dedicated entirely to the Naval combat because that was actually quite fun. Everything else had me fairly bored and I was just wanting to be over. If you are an AC fanboy, you'll probably be writing a 10/10 review... but I just don't see what all the fuss is about. I've beaten AC 1, 2 but just didn't care for this.
I Loved this series of game from the first one and the 2nd but there all the same now just diff story lines which dissapointed me because when i heard about this game it was suppose to revive the series but it dont it is the same old stuff. I was hoping that this game would make me fall in love with this game but it was totaly not that. I gave it a 5 because i still love the game it use to be. if u never played these game then give this game a try but if u have played the others then just dont wast the money good rent because u can send it back any time but dont was ur money even if it is used.