gamers (72%) found this review helpful
I was really looking forward to the next AC game...then I realized Namco was taking over the reigns and my heart sank. Stupid as I am I went out and bought it instead of renting it. Big mistake.
Namco needs to give this back up to Konami because AH just plain sucks.
1. Your AI is hopeless. They don't give a dam about you.
2. Enemy AI doesn't give a dam about your ally AI. Your wingmen just take up space in the sky and annoy you with relentless radio chatter going on about how useless they are.
3. All the action is so fast-paced and jarring you can't really get into the game or give a dam about the story or the characters.
4. If the radio tells you to focus on "Target" and your allies will cover you...fat chance of that. You best come prepared to do ALL the work, and I mean all of it. If you have to shoot down a bomber (which some take 20 missiles in the poochute) you'll have so many escort fighters jamming rockets into your exhaust you'll have no choice but to take them all out, then your target. And you best do it fast. Take more than 60 seconds on 1 errant plane, you may as well eat the ground and start over.
4. The Dogfight and Ground assault modes suck out all the fun and skill of the original games.
5. Controls for handling the Apache portions of the game are so bad...just...bad...baaaaad.
6. Some enemies are purely invincible and are simply there to rattle your FREAKIN' nerves; which is insulting. Yellow Squadron was tough but at least you could take one down and startle them hilariously over the radio.
This game is not worth the disc it's printed on.
Konami.. Where are you?!
If Namco holds the copyright, now... I'm done with the AC series. So sad to see it go out like this trying to imitate an FPS like CoD. These games make their money because they're NOT Call of Duty yet everyone tries to emulate the winners... Even if they're a dozen Genre's apart from each other.
Dumb, dumb, dumb Idiots. This is the ET of the 7th? Gen cons
I have been a fan of Ace Combat since Ace Combat 5 and I must say that this game is horrible. One of the big problems is the dogfight mode. It basically puts you right behind the enemy and takes all the excitement out of manuevering behind an enemy and taking him down. The worst part is that you are forced to do this in order to win the missions. If you don't go into dogfight mode the enemy will repeatedly deploy flares and make impossible manuevers(I've seen a plane make an almost 90 degree turn) so that you cannot hit him unless you turn on dogfight. The whole mission is basically you in dogfight mode. As someone who has beaten all of the difficulties in the previous games I find this highly offensive that the game forces you to holds its hand so you can actually kill somone. I hate how they have a bunch of different counter manuevers and flares now. If I want to dodge a missle I will do it on my own, I don't need some scripted thing to get me out of it. The first mission is basically a tutorial which is really annoying. They should have made a separate tutoial like there was in Ace Combat 5. I also don't like how they put it in the real world and made the story horribly cliche. I thought the previous stories were alright(except for 5,). It was mostly about simple war, with two countries fighting each other. No need for complicated conspiracy plots. Now that I have gotten that out of my system there are some good things. The graphics are great and I love how you can customize the color of your plane and even the missles. I like the other missions they put in, especially the bombers, but they are of course not as good as the fighter missions. This game is an improvement in some ways but in terms of actual gameplay it is horrible, especially for Ace Combat fans. This is the only Ace Combat game that I am going to return within a couple of days of getting it.