I downloaded this game. It would not play, saying that my system had insufficient graphics capability. I checked their requirements, and my system surpassed both their minimum and recommended system requirements. Ran a video diagnostic, and my system works, the chip works, and the drivers work. Went to the website of the company,and was unable to resolve the problem. I uninstalled it, and am annoyed that I wasted my time on this. I am a fairly intelligent guy -- a member of Mensa -- and being unable to make this work or even understand why this would not work is pretty annoying.
This game is solid 5 outa 10 material. Its enjoyable but compared to many "great" city builders its well, ok.
The good: Looks pretty
Easy to get into
Easy to manage large cities.
The bad Music! What is up with the jazz piano score and flute solo? I felt like I was at a French poetry read at a local book store.
Poor zoom. Doesn't have basic zoom functions like follow or even close up.
Military Im not looking for the next Theater of War but if you put terms like "RTS" in your official description you should at least at commands like hold position.
Lack of game world complexity. Hardly any goods, few services and arbitrary zone limits. While this makes the game easy to jump into I have to knock the game for it. Come on its a Rome simulator, how many casual kids do you expect were going to buy this?
posted by Huntibilis (PORT ORANGE, FL) Jul 7, 2012
Member since Jun 2012
Yes it will work, for games that have issues or just wont run at all on w7 do the following
1) Download the game normaly with your GF client.
2) DO NOT INSTALL the game from the GF client.
3) Find the setup file you just downloaded on your computer.
(for me this is Documents>GameFly>downloads>60671435)(Each game you download will get its own number just find the numbered file for IRG)
4) Right click Imperium Romanum Gold_v1.04.147_ddsetup(Choose Properties)
5) Under the Compatibility tab check the box marked "Run this program in compatibility mode for: and select Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
6) Press Apply on the bottom right of the window and close it.
7) Double click Imperium Romanum Gold_v1.04.147_ddsetup (This will start the install of the game, finish the download as normal.)
Note: The game will run fine for you after doing this, but will not show up in your GameFly Client "Installed" tab. You will have to launch the game from the location you installed it to, or the shortcut on your desktop.
I hope this helps fellow members out there.
PS. These same steps work for a number of games that have issues running with w7.