If you are in to the other two Dead Space games there is no reason you won't dig this one. In fact as a big fan of the series this may be my favorite. The scares just aren't scary anymore after three games but it's not from a lack of effort. The action makes up for it. My only problem with the game is the amount of times you fall down like a total klutz.
Overall, a decent game and worth a RENT. The campaign was worth a play but it's not a game I would replay or invest a lot of time in. I only played single player, so my comments are related to that only. Here is my review:
- Can completely build and customize your own weapons (assualt rifle + rocket launcher, line gun + flamethrower, etc)
- Lots of action
- Graphics & sound were good (same as other DS games)
- Long single player campaign
- Game isn't scary anymore because it's mostly action
- Most of the game is on a planet rather than in space, so only the beginning gives you zero-g / floating in space moments that are so cool
- Long range and slow-fire weapons are useless because it always sends a horde at you popping out of every opening, you basically are always fighting close combat a minimum 5 guys at a time
- IMO, the old DS suits were better, they've traded in the old metal & rustic suits which I thought made the game more gritty for a new polished woven fabric designs. The masks are cool, but the suits are generic
- All the same bad guys as before, I think there were only like 2 new additions that I can think of
- Generic bad guy with unclear / stupid motives
- Plot was "meh", it was just an excuse to make a "bigger" game
- Can't see the entire game unless you play with a coop partner (coop only side missions)
- Carver (the second playable character) doesn't make sense to be included when playing single player, I found it weird how he just randomly appears at cut-scenes and how he always magically finds an alternate route, maybe this could be explained with the coop campaign, but I didn't play with anyone else so...
Overall, game was basically an excuse to make another DS game with some new additions like the weapon customization. It's nothing new but worth a rent. Enjoy