This game is terrible. I have been waiting for this game since it was originally announced I think back in 2007. After the long wait all I can say is that it feels like Duke Nukem with a pulse rifle.
- The weapons feel underwhelming which is disapointing since you get to use a freakin pulse rifle and other iconic weapons like Hudson's shotgun.
- The leveling system is awful. When I first heard of it I was excited to see a tiny bit of RPG in the game, but it turns out to be a poorly thought out, poorly laid out tacked on attachment system for your weapons. I ended up having a bunch of points sitting around because there wasn't anything to use them on that I even cared about. Maybe if the guns themselves weren't god awful then maybe the upgrades for them wouldn't have felt so worthless.
- The animations for the Xenomorphs and other NPCs looked unfinished. They would appear to ice skate around the room and look like they were skipping animation frames. Sometimes the death animations were so bad the xeno's just looked like they turned into a piece of cardboard as soon as they died.
- Xeno's frequently just disappear when you shoot them.
- Ally AI will warp all over the place. You'll be following them and turn to hear a noise and they will warp to where you turned then warp back when you turn back around.
- Ally AI will often just path directly through obstacles while in this broken run animation
- Ally AI will also jump and maneuver over obstacles and cover that you can't pass through. You'll be following some marines that do this cool leap through a window, but you have to go around and look for the door way. It's just stupid.
- The game just looks old and the textures are terrible. They make a point at the beginning to walk you by the lockers from the Marines in Aliens, but you can barely read the name plates on the lockers because the textures are so bad.
I haven't touched cooperative or DM yet. I'm going to send it back to Gamefly before it makes sic
posted by BoloneyPony (NORTH LIBERTY, IA) Feb 17, 2013
Member since Nov 2011
gamers (67%) found this review helpful
If you have really low expectations and hate your ps3 console, then by all means play Colonial Marines. This game is absolute garbage. The only reason it got a 2 from me is because of the small details that make it feel like the Alien universe.