posted by shooterjunkie56 (COLORADO SPRINGS, CO) Nov 1, 2011
Member since May 2011
gamers (71%) found this review helpful
The Ace Combat franchise has always been a favorite of mine, with awesome title such as Ace Combat 4 Shattered skies and Ace Combat 5 I was eagerly awaiting Assault Horizon. While this game is somewhat of a departure for the series by no means is that a bad thing.
1. Ace Combat finally has some different types of missions such as helicopter and bomber missions.
2. The game looks quite stunning in most areas.
3. multiplayer is great fun. It has modes such as deathmatch to base destruction.
4. Combat is very fun.
5. Game has some great music for the intense dogfights.
1. The game can be a bit to easy at times. The bomber mission require almost no skill.
2. Each mission is a bit to long and towards the ned of the game it starts getting very repetitive.
3. The controlls are very loose and are hard to get used to.
Overall Ace Combat Assault Horizon is a great game with only some minor issues.
gamers (68%) found this review helpful
Just a few of the major annoyances:
- L2+R2: This button combo is used to do 3-4 things at any given time. L2 and R2 act as the rudders in planes, zoom and fire in helicopters, auto-level, enter "dogfight mode", and perform counter manouvers. Just WAY too much going on for 2 buttons...especially when even the game gets confused about what you are trying to do. This generally results in your death and (as in my case) the dog running away scared from the profanity flowing from your mouth.
- Cinematic (scripted) events during combat: This is ridiculous. You have to enter dogfight mode to kill some enemies...they're just too "good" to be shot down otherwise. This sometimes triggers scripted events like barely missing a commercial jet or flying between skyscrapers. Of course, this isn't apparent until you've launched 10-15 missiles at your enemy (every one hitting) and filled his tailpipe with a few thousand rounds. Basically, the enemy WILL NOT DIE until the scripted event is over...this can be 30 seconds or more...no matter how many missiles and bullets you hit him with
- Unrealistic HP on "important" things: Best way to describe this is with this phrase: it does not take 10 missiles to shoot down a cruise missile. I don't care if it's loaded with a special weapon... it would be shot down with a few rounds from a gatling gun. Also, there is no way I should be KILLED by the exhaust of an ICBM before I can shoot it down (again, multiple missiles necessary).
Those are three of the major ones for me, and I didn't even touch on the horrible pacing of missions, the terrible helicopter flight control, the pointless special weapons, releasing flares by accident, etc.
The only fun part was the C-130 Gunship mission, and even that has been done better before. The only reason I gave this a 5 was because the story was decent, although predictable and relatively unsatisfying. MUCH better than hearing an emotional woman/man complain about his family in "Gracemaria".